Board Meeting Minutes
December 12, 2016
Board members present were: John Brewer, Phil Kitchel, Peggy Norris, George Bergner, Kaj Ahlburg, Jon Fager.
Guests: Jack Glaubert, Matthew Rainwater, Kevin Hoult, Harry Bell and Jim McEntire.
- New Member: Kaj moved and George seconded acceptance of Josh McIlhargey as a member. Motion carried.
- Treasurer’s Report: Jon F. handed out copies of budget as of 12/9/16. He said PABA is legal with the IRS and the audit will confirm the action. He pointed out several things: Meals were high ($966.50) due to multiple candidates; One time IRS fee ($400) and Dues of $4,864 were not enough to cover spending of $5,035. Need about 100 members to cover 2017 expenses.
(Announcement: Harry B. said Timber Advisory Committee has recommended to Port the importance of trust lands and beneficiaries.)
- Bylaws: Phil said that since Bylaws were not done in September, the new administration will take a comprehensive look at them.
- Dues: John B. recommended cutting price of dues to $50.00. Jon F said Association has needed funds for fixed needs that might be too low. Kaj said Chamber charges $70 and he felt PABA members were getting more for their money. Kevin suggested $80 with a discount for those who belong to another similar association. George said $80 would have the incentive to bring in more members. Matthew R. and Phil K. voice agreement on value of membership. Phil suggested a Corporate Member fee. Jon said lowering the fee might be like demeaning members. George suggested members be reminded the website is there for their use.
- Audit: No report since Committee will be getting together after this meeting.
- Finance Committee: Kevin will work on this.
- White Paper Update: Jim McEntire said it is hard to get school officials together, especially for lunch. He will work on getting non-school officials together in January. He mentioned the importance of a joint meeting of the 19th and 24th Legislative Districts to discuss the paper with them and point out how much money they are missing out on. Phil asked why school boards are resisting meetings and are not paying attention to the Port and Timber Advisory Committee. Harry said they should be reminded that the junior taxing districts are hurting, too. Kaj said boards need educating as to importance of timber funds. Jim said the School Board should not care that property owners save $9 million. Board is more intent on coming across as not wanting to cut trees. Harry suggested an informational workshop with all concerned. Jim said boards need to be reminded that logging includes mills, trucks, truck drivers, etc. John B. said someone should talk to Superintendent Jackson.
- PDN Ad: John said ad would be coming out soon and would be 4×6. Several suggested putting in place, day and times of meetings, website, etc.
Jon F moved and Kaj A seconded that PABA cancel meetings for December 27 and January 3. Motion carried.
Jon F moved and John B. seconded that $200 be taken from the reserves to pay for music for Christmas Party. The “hat” will be passed and that money will go back into the budget.
Harry B. said Governmental Affairs Committee will meet on Dec. 27 even though there will not be a regular meeting.
George B. mentioned today’s article (12/12/16) PDN about Junior Taxing Districts for street repairs. He said things to remember are: to pass a sales tax, there needs to be a majority vote; city should not be able to cut back on other street funding, a maximum should be set, and a sunset clause is important. Harry said it is getting too expensive to live in Port Angeles. A discussion is needed on the trend of cost of living.
Phil closed the meeting by thanking John Brewer for making PABA a leading voice in the community!
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:33am.