Community Issues Addressed by PABA
Shoreline Master Plan
“Clallam County maintains an SMP Update Web Page on the Internet. The SMP web pages contain the latest drafts of the SMP update and supporting update documents (e.g., Shoreline Inventory and Characterization Report). It also contains public comments received, announcements of upcoming SMP presentations, ability to submit comments electronically, and other information. Once completed, the pending Revised Draft SMP will be downloadable from the SMP Update Web Page at the address below. ”
Rayonier Site Cleanup
The PABA has actively encouraged the State Department of Ecology to expedite the Cleanup Project in an effort to return that valuable property to productive use.
- Contacted DOE requesting status and schedule
- Garnered support of the City, County, Chamber and EDC in sending individual letters to DOE urging action
- Scheduled DOE for report in a program with Rayonier and Tribal Representatives.
Government and Public Agency Contracted Services
The PABA advocates and urges publicly-funded agencies to award contracts for services to private sector enterprises if they are fully qualified and capable of providing the service at competitive cost.
- Community is better served by a strong private, entrepreneurial sector.
- Public better served with cooperative effort between public and private sectors vs. competition.
- Use of public vs. private sector contractors requires credible explanation by public agency
Government/Public Agency Actions and Proceedings
The PABA advocates and urges publicly-funded agencies to publish and make very transparent, open and public their meetings, actions, and proceedings.
- Open, accessible meetings with opportunity for public discourse and observation.
- Media publication of meeting proceedings available to public .
- Extensive use of Public or Stakeholder Advisory Committees
- Discourse in language understandable by public
- Regular (annual) publication of staffing, roles, and compensation as required in publicly-traded, private sector corporations.
Port of PA Functions
The PABA has supported and encouraged POPA efforts to develop our waterfront economy
- Encouraged sale of POPA waterfront property to promote Business growth/expansion/siting on the waterfront
- Encouraged POPA to identify and install a permanent Executive Director to replace the “long-term” interim Director.
- Established dialogue with Commissioners and Staff for input on POPA goals, objectives, procedures aimed at developing an environment conducive to Business siting and retention.
The PABA has supported development, adoption, and implementation of a comprehensive plan for the entire Port Angeles Waterfront..
- A PABA member, Mel Rudin, was major author of the Waterfront Vision, a conceptual arrangement of our entire waterfront.
- The PABA has supported adoption of this Vision and implementation of its concepts.
Safety and Appearance
The PABA has endorsed efforts to improve the appearance and safety of Hwy 101 corridors into and out of Port Angeles
- Supported discussions with State officials/Governor on Landslide issues near Lincoln Street.
- Endorsed efforts to beautify the Hwy 101 entrance corridor as outlined by Port Angeles Forward Committee.
- Assumed leadership role in that effort by becoming the first civic organization to adopt a section of the corridor taking responsibility for its appearance.