Board Meeting Minutes
January 9, 2017
Vice President Matthew Rainwater called the meeting to order at 7:33am.
Board members present were: Peggy Norris, John Brewer, Jim McEntire, Jon Fager, Kevin Hoult and Debby Swanson.
Guests: Phil Kitchel and Harry Bell.
- Budget: Treasurer Jon Fager presented the 2017 budget saying it grew out of 2016 spending. One new item was $250 for the North Olympic Legislative Alliance (No one has seen their budget yet.) Jon said the note about the Christmas Choir donation had to do with the fact that a check of $200 had been made out before the Christmas meeting. Donations came to $262. The $200 was given that day (note: a decision was made in the board meeting to donate the $62 to the Choir since it was given with that in mind).
Publicity / Gifts: The item was high this year because of plans for meetings on the “White Paper”. Jim McEntire said it looks like the Port will be devoting and donating more to that this year so PABA might not have to spend what was listed in the budget.
Jim moved and Debby seconded that PABA Board accepted the budget and presented it to the membership tomorrow (Jan 10). Motion carried.
- Education activities of High School and College Students. Consider spending down the reserves by instituting a program for promoting scholarships. Follow up on a PAHA program that features a contest for the best business model. PABA might be one of the judges and donate prize money for the two best models. (Winner of past programs have presented their ideas at a PABA meeting.) Seek corporate sponsorships for a one time scholarship? Solicit donations from PABA members? Kevin suggested spending the 2017 year investigating possible prorams and iniatives especially for those students who want to go into a trade. Debby suggested starting as young as the grade schools. Look into the Business Club at the college. Fund activities with PABA dues. Check out alternative schools such as the Skills Center. What are their needs? Kevin moved and Jon F seconded that PABA look into funding student business activities in the 2017-18 year. Motion carried.
- Identify issues, especially those dealing with business in Clallam County. Have PABA take a position, communicate with legislative representatives, follow up on what they do and then hold them responsible for that follow through. One comment was that PABA designate a Board Member or regular member to keep up with what is going on in Olympia and then report on progress each week. Governmental Affairs meets only once a month, whcih is not often enough for weekly follow thorugh. (Harry said he was willing to continue as Chair of that Committee but woudl work to find a Co-Chair to help him.) Suggestios for use of email and facebook were made. Matthew suggested revising the Bylaws so that voting on issues could be done electronically. There are so many issues going on that PABA can only concentrate on a few of them. A sub-committee might be useful. Policies are being written now in Olympia. Time to act is now. Kevin moved and John seconded that meeting following the next meeting to select 1-2 items to monitor. Motion carried.
John B said Jim Buck would like a follow up on business planning of post earthquakes. Jim said a listing of the first 10 things for a business to do would be helpful. Kevin and John will meet to discuss this.
COMMITTEES AND CHAIRS
Governmental Affairs: Harry Bell will continue as Chair.
Membership: John B said he thought Edna would like to continue with the committee.
Publicity: Debby said she would Chair the committee. Kevin will work with Roxi to see what the website can do for us. Kevin moved and Debby seconded that PABA digitally align website with its goals. Motion carried.
NOLA: John B said he thought Kaj was interested in representing PABA.
Chamber: John stated that Andrew is interested in representing PABA.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:33am.