Board Meeting Minutes
October 10, 2016
Vice President Phil Kitchel called the meeting to order at 7:28am.
Board members present were: Phil Kitchel, John Brewer, George Bergner, Marc Abshire, Kaj Ahlburg and Peggy Norris.
Guests: Jack Glaubert, Jim McEntire, Mathew Rainwaer, Kevin Hoult, Harry Bell and Debby Spinks.
- Treasurer’s Report
- PABA Officer Candidates for 2017
- New Member
- White Paper
- Gift to Joshua’s
- Tour: Elwha
- League of Women Voters Forums
- PABA Constitution and Bylaws – Committees
- Membership – PADA
- Governmental Affairs Committee Meetings
- Christmas Party
- November Board Meeting – Ron Allen
No Treasurer. No report.
John Brewer moved and Kaj Ahlburg seconded acceptance of slate to include: Kevin Hoult (president), Mathew Rainwater (vice president), Debby Spinks, Ted Simpson and Jim McEntire (board members). Motion carried. Election will be held the first meeting in December.
A board packet, which will include Treasurer’s Report, Budget, Membership List and Constitution / Bylaws,will be given to each new officer.
Kaj moved and George seconded acceptance of Harry Mitchell as a member. Motion carried.
White Paper Cover Letter:
Jim McEntire suggested that PABA take the leadership role in its circulation and passage. He recommended that mailing list entities be visited even if it means traveling to Olympia. Visits would help first to clear up confusion and address comments and then to convince groups of the importance of their participation. Several names of those who might visit were: Harry Bell, Phil Kitchel, Jim McEntire, Glen Wiggins and Carol Johnson. Visits should be scheduled on days of Board Meetings even if only allowed to speak for a few minutes. Board Meeting visits would have more impact than letters or phone calls. Phil mentioned that the Timberland Library System has attended several of the DNR meetings just to tell them what has happened to their service because of lack of timber revenue. George asked if the groups know what they have lost in the past. Jim said he had a spreadsheet that might help. Several unknowns such as sales price, availability, etc. make it hard to come up with a good accounting. Harry said he talked to Clallam Treasurer Selinda Barkhuis and she told him if she knew what is expected from future sales, she can break that down by entities.
Harry said a special DNR Board Meeting on October 17 will address the issue of the arrearage. He and Phil will be attending but he felt representatives from School Board or Superintendents or Fire Districts might have more weight. (Schools face the problem that when timber revenue comes in, they have to cut that amount from their budget.)
Phil stressed the importance of DNR meeting before the end of December. Harry will discuss the issue at the Governmental Affair Committee meeting.
Gift to Joshua’s:
John B. moved and Kaj seconded that PABA donate $100.00 to Joshua’s as a thank you to the waitresses that help at PABA meetings. It would be up to Joshua’s to divide the money which will be given at the Christmas Party. Motion carried.
Tour of the Elwha:
John said he is working with Anne Shaffer of the Coastal Watershed Institute to lead a tour of Board Members to the new mouth of the Elwha River. He will check on dates and limits of numbers attending.
League of Women Voters Forums:
John, Phil, Mathew, etc., were concerned about the candidate(s) who were loudly, but unfairly, attacking the PABA and its President. Some, at the forums, have been saying that PABA and President are endorsing a candidate. Phil said he felt that PABA was being unjustly maligned. Several Board Members said that any letter going out should try to be positive, stressing what PABA does, that it provides forums for candidates and issues. Some of the misunderstanding might arise from the fact that PABA did endorse the filming of League Forums – which they finally started doing. Harry will bring up that issue at the Governmental Affairs Committee.
Constitution and Bylaws Committees:
Kaj suggested name of Water and Shorelines Committee be changed to Governmental Affairs Committee. He also questioned the activity of the other Committees, John B and Kevin H will meet to look over the Constitution and Bylaws since it is time for the annual review.
PADA (Port Angeles Downtown Association) Membership:
PABA Constitution allows for reciprocal memberships. It was discussed such an arrangement with PADA. Marc said that Association has not met since July. It was felt it was better to wait until next year and bring up the subject again.
Governmental Affairs Committee:
Harry will discuss dates of future meeting tomorrow.
John will meet with Edna and Dee to set a firm date (now scheduled for Dec 6) and the program. It was not decided as to whether to honor a special group.
PABA November Board Meeting:
Ron Allen, Jamestown S’Klallam Tribe, will discuss the Rayonier Property and vacation of right aways.
George said the October 18 meeting will feature Rich James and an update on the Discovery Trail. Discussion arose as to whether to hold the Oct 25 meeting with the Chamber since there could be a large crowd. Speaker will be the Land Commissioner. As of now, meeting will be at regular time and place.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:43am.