Port Angeles Business Association is holding online election forums for local races and measures on the Nov. 3 ballot.
Open to the public via Zoom, tomorrow’s forum will be a pro and con debate on Referendum 90. Follow the link below, or call in, for the 7:30am meeting.
Click here to be taken to the WA State Legislature website. R-90 asks voters to approve or reject state Senate Bill 5395, requiring sexual health education in public schools. A vote to approve R-90 would allow SB 5395 to go into effect. A vote to reject this referendum would repeal SB 5395. The bill is on hold pending the result of the election.
On the WA State Legislature website look under Available Documents to read the original bill, and bill as passed.
Senator Phil Fortunato, R-Auburn representing Washington’s 31st Legislative District, will be arguing to reject the bill. He helped lead the drive to put R-90 on the ballot.
Port Angeles pediatrician, Dr. Grace Yelland, will argue in favor of the bill.
The Zoom meeting ID is the same as the previous election forums:
830 4649 2413
Or dial 253 215 8782 (Tacoma) and enter the meeting ID.
Here is the schedule for PABA’s two remaining Tuesday morning forums:
Oct. 6 — Three of the six proposed amendments to the Clallam County Home Rule Charter — No. 3 (frequency of Charter Review Commission elections), No. 5 (appointment of director of Department of Community Development) and No. 6 (signatures required for petitions). [The other three charter amendments were debated last Tuesday; see below.]
Oct. 13 — Incumbent state Rep. Steve Tharinger (D-Port Townsend) and Republican challenger Brian Pruiett of Carlsborg. This is our final election forum. Mail-in ballots go out the next day, Oct. 14, to registered voters for the Nov. 3 election.
You can read about the five previous debates at the Peninsula Daily News website, or watch the debates on YouTube:
1. Clallam PUD commissioner — https://www.peninsuladailynews.com/politics/morris-paschall-differ-on-public-power-council-at-forum/.
WATCH VIDEO — https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieuoYFeXSK4&t=1087s.
2. Clallam Superior Court judge — https://www.peninsuladailynews.com/news/clallam-county-superior-court-judge-candidates-spar-in-debate/.
WATCH VIDEO — https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywhiYWl-Ic0&t=652s
3. Incumbent state Rep. Mike Chapman (D-Port Angeles) and GOP challenger Sue Forde of Sequim — https://www.peninsuladailynews.com/politics/chapman-forde-clash-in-candidate-forum/.
WATCH VIDEO — https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owXNs5K7_b0&t=102s
4. Incumbent state Sen. Kevin Van De Wege (D-Sequim) and his Republican challenger, Connie Beauvais of Port Angeles — https://www.peninsuladailynews.com/politics/state-senate-hopefuls-discuss-taxes-dnr/.
WATCH VIDEO — https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-oaA_ieQ5A&feature=youtu.be</p<
5. Three of the six proposed amendments to the Clallam County Home Rule Charter — No. 1 (making the office of prosecuting attorney nonpartisan), No. 2 (minor wording clarification to specify “county” commissioners in Article IV, Section 4.10) and No. 4 (changing the way county commissioners are elected, having them nominated by district, then elected by voters countywide) — https://www.peninsuladailynews.com/politics/clallam-voters-to-be-asked-to-change-commissioner-election-process/.
VIDEO — should be posted today or Tuesday.
Check PABA on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7ku3wgKd-_DDhGapA04gZA