November 7, 2017
Meeting was called to order at 7:40am. Dick Pilling led the flag salute.
Jack G moved and Jerry A seconded acceptance of minutes for October 31. Motion carried.
Kevin read from a flyer from the Captain Joseph House about the National Traveling Memorial Tribute Towers which will be on display at the house, December 8 – 11, 2017. Please contact Betsy if you would like to volunteer. 360.460-7848 or at CPTJosephHouse@CJHF.org.
Cherie Kidd performed the dance she did at the Ms. Senior America contest in Atlantic City last month.
The business meeting had no speaker. President Kevin queried as to whether members of the PABA were interested in sending a letter about the proposed fee increase for the National Park. Kaj moved and Marc seconded that PABA send a letter about the fees. Discussion as to what should be in the letter centered around several points:
- Remind them why the Park system was started in the first place.
- Tier one status.
- Economic impact on the community. Would tourists not come or maybe spend fewer days here if they did come? Impact on ferry, hotels, restaurants, etc.
- Could local business sell tickets for when the booths are not manned.
- Why was ONP not consulted in the first place?
- Why no market studies or analysis – or at least no published ones?
- Why did they pick $70.00 and not something higher or lower?
- What was the object? Does Park system want to cut down on use or to control the number visiting parks? Is it an environmental issue? (Jon F said that the NPS depends on nature to take care of forest fires and burns if they are natural. Park system will usually pay if burns are started by man). Mark A said the NPS will be publishing their fee schedule in early December. The increase will probably be on that schedule. Did they have the increase already planned when they send the notices out? PABA should still send a letter to make their views known.
One question had to do as to where the fees go. What percentage of entrance fes versus yearly pass?
Cherie K. said that the Coho and charter van services are worried about how they will be affected. The road tot he Ridge is usually maintained by the Park. Wold it be cheaper to have County help?
Kevin and Jim McEntire, Governental Affairs Committee, will be asked to bring a draft letter to the PABA Board meeting next Monday. The deadline for letters and comment is running out so something should be put in writing as soon as possible.
Issue was tabled until the next PABA meeting.
(Jon Fager took over at 8:15am)
Meeting adjourned at 8:24am.